Sunday, July 29, 2007

Dinner with "F" and "J"

Around 4 pm after Tea House we headed in a van with our friends Ilir, Kate and Susie to F's house. F is planning to move soon to Sweden and wanted to fix dinner for us to say "good-bye" and "thank you" to Kenn and Ilir for fixing their computer. You can see them in the picture to the left, standing in the balcony waving to us.

As we exited the car we could smell fish grilling on a roof nearby. We entered the building and hiked up the unlit, dirty, marble stairs several flights to their apartment. The children met us at the door and were delighted to have company. Cartoons (in Farsi ) were playing on the TV on cable from Dubai. We are pleasantly surprised to find they actually have air-conditioning on this warm summer evening. We are also surprised to discover that the fish that smelled so good outside was our dinner cooking!

We sit in the only chairs that are not broken and the Eastern hospitality begins. First we are served water and soda (that we brought as a gift). Then heaps of food begin to appear on the table nearby, some sort of fried rice with cinnamon and raisans, 2 kinds of deep fried ground meat with vegetables, grapeskins filled with lemon and rice and ?, a Greek salad, flat bread and finally 2 giant fish (with head, eyes and tail all intact). I fill my plate once and then again and then "J" takes my plate and heaps it full. Now I am in trouble. There is no way in the world I can eat more than the 2 plates I've already eaten. I do the best I can, but it isn't enough. Then comes the sweet tea with sweets to eat and later the melons. I'm thinking I may never eat again. I am pleased to discover I really like Iraqi cooking or at least when it is cooked by "F".

The boys (3 and 6 years old?) play with us. I read them a book in Greek which made them laugh, for while they can't read much Greek, they have every word memorized and know that I am not reading it properly. We play with boxing G I Joes (or some sort of equivalent). The men are watching the Asia semi-finals for Soccer. Finally we get out the camera and take pictures. I teach the boys to take pictures. This is great fun. We took 61 pictures! Most of them are not framed well, but we had a good time.


It was hard to say "good-bye", although we have been here now for more than 4 hours. The chances of them actually being able to stay in Sweden are slim; most likely they will be sent back to Greece. If they are returned, they will likely lose the apartment, their belongings, their car and his job. It is a big risk. However, if they get to stay, (because someone has compassion on this pregnant woman and her family,) Sweden has great social benefits for refugees. It would be a good place to live and raise a family. "F" is 6 months pregnant. If they stay, we won't get to see the baby born. No spiritual conversation took place that night, although Ilir did try. "J" has a New Testament and has read it some and has clearly heard the gospel message. "F" changes the subject whenever it is brought up; to become a Christian would cut her off from her extended family whom she dearly loves. The cost would be great. In much the same way that they are willing to sacrifice everything they have to make a better life for their children, I know God loves them more than I do, because he was sacrificed His son to make it possible for them to have a personal relationship with Him. I pray now for mercy and compassion and for maybe a dream or a vision that will make it clear that Jesus is more than just another prophet of Mohammad, a compelling reason to consider His claims. Thanks for praying. If they get sent back, "F" has promised me cooking lessons. Maybe we'll get another chance.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your posts! Hearing about real lives and seeing real faces adds a level of intimacy and wakes up my spirit to pray for these and so many more! Of course, you and Kenn are in my prayers, too.

I have to laugh, though! I can't imagine sitting here laughing at you while you are reading!