Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Our Birthday in Greece

July 16th was our birthday. My husband Kenn and I are 6 hours apart in age. We had an "american" Greek sort of birthday. We went out to dinner with our friends Kate and Ilir to Fridays (yes the same restaurant as we have at the mall at home). We also went the next afternoon to see Oceans 13 at the theater "europe style". We learned oh...so many things. We learned to check the theater number. Number 5 and 6 are side by side. We assumed the one with the door open would be our movie...surely the movie in progress would have the door closed and the movie about to play would be open. Unfortunately, not so....we were about 3 minutes into a horror movie when we realized we in the wrong place. We got up and so did a group of high school girls who had done the same thing. We also did not realize we had assigned seats. Good thing there were only 10 of is in the entire theater for the 5:30 showing. Most of Greece doesn't wake up until about 9 pm when they have dinner. The seats are much nicer than home and have a convenient table in between each two seats. It was quite nice. The movie was in English with Greek subtitles. We sat in someone elses seats, but they didn't make us move because we had rescued them from the horror movie. If Oceans 13 had been playing the theater "gold" style (and it wasn't) we could have sat in recliners that look like 1st class airline seats and had dinner with the movie.

Birthday greetings came in many forms. I had a real birthday card that was about 1-1/2 inches x 3 inches (a store bought card in its own envelope). I've never had one that small. It was very cute.l I had a card in "my space". I had an e-card. I had voice mail on SKYPE (where Mark/Pat SANG "happy birthday"). I had e-mail and a video call on SKYPE. I'm sure we would have had cards in the mail, if anyone actually knew where we lived. We felt very loved and not so very far from home. Yes...if you have read this far, you deserve to know how old we are.... we are 49 this year.

1 comment:

DeanaMarie said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! So glad to hear you are doing well.

I'd love to have a "gold" movie experience! Sounds comfy...

Much love and prayers.